Did you know that there are strict rules concerning number plates?
General rules that need to be followed include:
- Number plates must be reflective and rear plates illuminated in the evening
- Registration numbers must be readable and not covered by dirt
- Number plates must be laid out in the correct size, colouring, font and spacing
- Owners cannot alter or rearrange numbers and lettering on their number plates
- Plates should follow the British Standard for number plates, including the trademark and postcode of the plate supplier
- No other images should be used on number plates except approved images, such as national flags
We can produce number plates in store while-you-wait! It’s the best way to know your plate is correct and legal. All branches are able to create standard style number plates (plain or GB) on either a white for front or yellow for rear plate using the latest in digital printers. Motorcycle and 4×4 plates, as well as oversize plates and Japanese import plates, are also available at selected stores.
To get your new number plate made, you must provide two pieces of ID, one for yourself, such as;
- Photo Drivers license
- A utilities bill issued within the last six months
- A bank statement issued within the last six months
- A debit card or credit card issued by bank or building society
- NB If you do not have photo identification you will need to provide a utility bill also.
Plus you’ll also need to prove the right of entitlement for the registration number in the form of a log book or, the New Keeper Supplement.
For our full list of allowed ID documents and for more information on number plates, click here.